View Single Post
Old April 17th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellajolie View Post
I have a solution! When I go on my cruise, I will be 4 months pregnant, and packin' a water pistol. If I see smokers in smoke free areas, I will blast them! If they can force their nasty habits on me, whelp PSSSST!!!
__________________________________________________ ________________________
As for those who would compare complaining about smoking to prejudice against people with physical disabilities? Not even close buddy. Are you trying to say that discrimination laws should read: "we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, national origin, disability, sex (gender), religion, or smoking preference" ? Apples to oranges my friend.
__________________________________________________ ________________________

I am a realist. When I go to Europe, I expect to gulp huge amounts of second hand smoke everywhere I go. I may not like it, but I will never complain because it is the norm, accepted and expected. If you are a smoker, Europe is for you. If you are a smoker, then non-smoking areas on a cruise ARE NOT where you should go to smoke. You should not have the right to do as you choose, just as I dont have the right to eat from the cruise buffet whilst butt nekkid. Nor should I bend over and rip an el nino sized, thunderous butt clap into the face of the nearest smoker. The tremendous force of rancid emissions parting their hair and causing their chair to screech as it slides back a foot or two.
Regardless of the legality, it is possible to be disrespectful of others while staying within the confines of the law.

Okay, I so I may not pack a water pistol for the cruise, nor will I survey the buffet line while sporting a full moon, or part your hair with fart bombs, but I do wish smokers could appreciate the impact they have on those around them. I understand the fact that they are addicts and need somewhere to smoke. Give'em a deck or 2 to themselves. As for smokers who complain because the smoking areas are filled with too much smoke? Uh, yeah, your point?

Smoking is gross, unhealthy, stinks and my insurance helps pay for the cancer it causes. I have a right to be miffed.

Regards,
Your fellow cruise enthusiast

PS. I dont give a rat's behind if I could get more carcinogens from sucking on an exhaust pipe or whatever Mr. MD claims. You won't catch me chasing cars with puckered lips anytime soon. Sure there are plenty of ways to increase our risk of cancer, some worse than others. Does that make the lesser of the evils acceptable?
Good point about Europe. They do however, have the restaurants inside non smoking, at least England and France does now. (back in the 90's smoking was inside restaurants too with no designated no smoking areas) I was disappointed that I could not sit outside on a sidewalk cafe on a day that was a balmy 75 degrees or so though, as everyone wants to do that in Paris, but I accepted it.

With us, it is not the fear of cancer that is the problem. It is the smoke bothers us fairly badly. It did not use too, until we had a child with asthma, and we had to avoid it because of her. (my husband's parents smoked and my father smoked-so we both grew up smelling smoke in our homes as the norm) We found after having to avoid smoke because of our daughter who would go into asthma attacks from smoke, that we seemed to have lost our "immunity" to smoke.

BTW, our daughter is bothered by any smoke, burning leaves is worse than cigarette smoke for her. When Florida had those bad fires several years ago, the smoke would waffle up to GA on some days very badly, she really had a bad time.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
146 days total