View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Default Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
It is basically common knowledge that the tipped staff make a base salary of $50 - $75 per month and the rest of their compensation comes from tips. This compensation can add up to $20,000 - $30,000 per contract.

Sounds good, but they also work 14 - 16 hours a day, every day. There aren't many American's or many other nationalities who are willing to do that and NCLA made that a valid point.

Take care,
Mike

First Mike, please let me know what you think of the newly refurbished Century..it was our first Celebrity cruise.. a t/a and hooked us..

There is no doubt in my mind that Americans would not be working the way other nationalities do on cruise ships. Just for instance... if you figure out what a waiter makes per guest, per week. and a good waiter usually has more or about three tables...that's not bad..Please, they deserve every penny they make trying to make us happy. Many have contracts longer than six months.. We all know what tips means.. TO INSURE PROMPT SERVICE.. You and I must agree that an even $12.00 a day tip for a waiter is peanuts to what we would pay on land for one meal in a high end restaurant.. There are many times (most of the time) when we have added extra $$.. It;s in the cost of my cruising experience.. What I find abhorrent is the Americans (and I have seen it) at dinner leaving extra $$., I do understand, although I'm not a big drinker slipping the bartender an extra dollar or two.. I do have a friend whose daughter works for NCL and is in "Management" I'm sure she gets paid well (she's been working for them for many years) but she one of those that has various positions on ships...including and her mother and I laugh, cabaret singer when needed. If your going on the Epic.. you will see one of her productions.