View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
You have to love Katlady's approach. I doubt anyone else will answer now

(BUT PLEASE DO!)

One thing I have found is that it is best to be date flexicble - that same cruise can vary in price by as much as 25% in a month just based on the sail date - and that does not always mean shoulder season. Sometimes it is just based on chance because the ship isnt selling.

Katlady - when do you find is the best time to book airfare - how far in advance? Do you have to re-adjust your airfare every week?
I'm a finance major trained in skip-tracing kind of a strange mix. But I love the hunt.

Paul to answer your question we have only flew to port once. CM transatlantic Cruise in 2008. So the flights were from SFO (it was cheaper then Sacramento) to Miami. The ship took us to Rome Italy we took the train to Venice, Italy. The flight back was from Venice, Italy back to California. I tried the open jaw thingy way too expensive. I booked one way non refundable airfares economy class. Yes I'm cheap.

I beat cruise air by $200 per person not including the air deviations they would have charged for coming in the day before and leaving out of Venice. Plus I got to pick a non stop flight to Miami and chose my seat (on the aisle). The flight back was tiring we went from Venice to Frankfurt then Frankfurt to LAX and then LAX to Sacramento. When I check air now I always use fly.com. Another cruise mate (Bob) told me about it. It searches multiple sites at once. I also check Jet Blue and Southwest. Oddly enough I didn't lose my luggage on any of those flights. I lost my luggage on the transfer bus from the port to Rome.

We don't have kids so we can cruise while school is in session that saves us a lot of money.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994