View Single Post
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Admiral

Cool N.E. Cruises

These are the most underated itineraries in the cruise industry. Uncrowded ports, locals who will go out of their way to help. As a Bostonian I have to recommend the Duck Boats, Newport you can get off the tender and I think it's to the left go to the Tourist Center and buy tickets for whatever mansions or tours you'd like (Rosecliff is my favorite), Halifax..one of my favorite places, a colorful college city with a meandering walk and local Arcadian musicians and craft people set up from the terminal..There is a Hop on Hop Off bus, but the highlight for us was going to see and I know this sounds morbid,but it isn't...the hillside graveyard of the Titanic victims.. and then down to the fort for the shooting off of the cannons at noon..Peggy Cove can be a "crap shoot",, if it's foggy you won't be able to see a thing and it's very touristy.. There is a glass factory near the waterfront and the museum. St. John, very laid back. a wonderful welcoming from the Lord Mayor and often a bagpiper. There are the Reversing Falls that you can get to by local bus.. and hopefully it's still there, a little ferry to take you back to the tourist area and the City Market. There are three brothers who own restaurants and one has a lobster shack on the road back to the ships, on t he left set back.. Bar Harbor... a charming town where you can go to Arcadia National Park. All along in these ports, especially in Halifax, Bar Harbor and St John the best lobster you will ever taste. The mantra is... the colder the water, the sweeter the lobster.. As for the foliage.. Mother Nature is very fickle..we just never know...For instance today, we are having away from the water here in MA hot enough weather to put on the a/c. With luck you will be able to see the whales feeding off the coast, these playful giants.