View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2010, 04:03 PM
Beginner

Default First Solo Cruise (have cruised before) over Christmas/New Years?

Hello Everyone.... I am planning my first solo cruise this year over the Christmas and/or New Year holidays. This will be my 3rd cruise - I always took my mom.

Since my mom passed last Nov, I have no family and last year's holidays were uneventful even spending them with great friends. I thought a Christmas and/or New Years cruise would be festive. Last cruise, even though I was with my mom (we enjoyed different activities), I hung out with the entertainment staff most of the time even getting invited to staff parties and exchanging Christmas gifts! First cruise, I met a couple on their honeymoon during the muster drill and they wanted to hang out with me (goal to find me a mate - did not happen) - taught me how to salsa dance.

Needless to say, I am not shy or introverted and I have no problem starting a conversation with anyone. I travel a lot for work and don't have a problem entertaining myself if need be, no fear of visiting new places (not stupid tho - any ports I should stay away from or make sure to take a ship excursion). I like the idea of not being on anyone else's schedule.

Here is what I have narrowed it down to so far (although open to others I like the larger ships):
Carnival Dream - 9 day W.Caribbean 12/23 - 1/1 (like the itinerary - loved Cozumel) Contemplating if I should splurge on a balcony?

NCL Epic - 12/25? - 7 day Have heard questionable things about the food quality on this line except for the surcharge restaurants. - Like the idea of the studio with no surcharge but it seems really tiny.

RCI - Oasis or Allure - would love to try either of these ships but may be cost prohibitive.

I am also debating the question of should I splurge on a balcony. I had one my last cruise but I have heard that getting an inside room will encourage me to be out and about.

Any thoughts or comments would be very appreciated. If anyone has cruised solo over the holidays, let me know about your experiences. Thanks! Tina
Sponsored Links