View Single Post
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Beginner

Smile

Just returning from our second Royal Caribbean cruise. This time we were on the Freedom of the Seas, stopping in Coco Cay, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. I bought a 2.05 carat loose Tanzanite from Tanzanite International (St. Thomas). I talked them down from $1,200 to $960. I took it to my jeweler back at home and had him set it into a pendant with 13 tiny diamonds surrounding it (to protect the relatively soft and somewhat breakable Tanzanite from getting hurt from daily wear). My jeweler took one look at my Tanzanite, said it was "truly an exceptional stone" and once I got my finished pendant back, it appraised for $3,830. $3,000 of that is just for the Tanzanite!!! That means that I paid less than 1/3 of what the stone appraised for here. Now, as a disclaimer, I'm a well-trained amateur when it comes to gemstones and will be pursuing my GIA certifications within the next few years. That said, if you read up on any stone and know what to look for, you can have some amazing success in these ports when it comes to buying loose stones.