Thread: Venice
View Single Post
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJM View Post
We will be going on the Magic of the Mediterranean Cruise on the Westerdam, May 4th, departing from Venice. Just wondering if there is public transportation re vaporetto's (water ferries) from the port to St. Marks and also what a taxi will cost from Airport to a hotel close to the port..just a quess.. on the cost. If anyone has done any of the tours in the ports on this cruise.. Split, Croatia; Piraeus (Athens),Greece; Istanbul, Turkey; Mykonos, Greece; Ephesus, Turkey; Santorini; Dubrovnike, Croatia; Coru, Greece; Arqostoli, Greece; Catania,, Naple, Rome, Florence, Italy and Barcelona any words of wisdom.. don't do this one or do this one.. I realize I asked for alot of info.. but will appreciate any feed back anyone has. Thank you in advance for your time in replying..
1. There is excellent private bus service from the airport to the Piazzale Roma, AVDN or something (use Google), that has luggage storage. Even cheaper public buses but no luggage.

2. I think you will need to walk from the port to Piazzale Roma to catch the main vaporetto, but it isn't far. With luggage, I would use a taxi.

3. I definitely would not use the cruiseline excursions on Santorini or Mykonos. Also, if you insist on going to Florence from Livorno, I'd suggest you find another couple and get a private car with driver, which will save you a fortune and give you huge flexibility.

I'd go to Pisa from Livorno, personally, but if you haven't seen Florence and this is your one chance . .. .