View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbopolo View Post
So .... the past guest rate makes you eligible for an upgrade but early saver doesn't?

What if you are particular about your cabin and like that question settled far in advance?

Pardon my ignorance - this is all very complicated! :???:
I should clarify, I'm referring to upgrades at the time of booking. Not sure about upgrades closer to departure, I've never had one either way though. What I do know is that whenever I've booked past guest we get some sort of upgrade guaranteed when we book, so we get a cabin assignment in the higher category, hence no question of where you're staying. With early saver is always just seems to be a low price but never an upgrade at time of booking.

For Example: we once booked a past guest rate on a basic interior cabin (Cat 4A, sorry I'd check but its getting late) and the past guest promotion gave us an upgrade all the way up to (I think) a 4F which is an interior on the Lido deck. Paying for the basic interior and getting a past guest upgrade to the Lido deck ended up being much cheaper than the early saved for the 4F on the Lido deck if just purchased under the early saver promo. So you see, sometimes if you're planning on a higher category, the money you save using a past guest upgrade at time of booking can outweigh the early savings. Not always, but I find it is often the case.

Though I also find Carnival is offering less and less past guest promos, anyone else agree?

Hope this didn't confuse you any further!!
05/14/2008 Carnival Spirit (Glacier Bay - Alaska)
11/12/2007 Carnival Freedom (US Inaugural - W Carib)
02/01/2007 Celebration (Bahamas)