View Single Post
  #2 (permalink)  
Old July 3rd, 2010, 08:04 AM
Dutchman's Avatar
Dutchman Dutchman is offline
Senior Member
First Mate
Join Date: May 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 362

What is the required travel documentation for all ports?
Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Even though a guest has completed registration using FUNPASS, it is still the responsibility of the guest to bring all required travel documents. Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call. Any guest without proper documents will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of proper travel documentation.
U.S. Citizens
Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin & end in the same U.S. port, travelling with a passport enhances your disembarkation experience, as delays may be expected upon your return to the U.S. if you do not have one. Additionally, passports make it easier for you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.
The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:
Valid U.S. Passport
Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate
Certificate of Naturalization
Passport Card
Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over. For more information, a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents or to obtain a passport application, visit
To debark for more than 24 hours in Mexico, guests must have obtained a Mexican Tourist Card from either a travel agent or a Mexican consulate prior to their departure.
When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original, signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.
Sailings from Canada or to Canadian Ports of Call
U.S. Citizens require a valid passport or WHTI compliant documents.
Europe, Hawaii and Transatlantic Cruises
U.S. citizens must have a valid passport.
U.S. Alien Residents and Non-U.S. Citizens
U.S. Alien Residents require a valid Alien Resident Card and/or passport (depending on itinerary) to travel on all Carnival cruises. Non-U.S. citizens require a valid machine readable passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable, to travel on all Carnival cruises. Guests are advised to check with their travel agent or appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents, including a Schengen/ or Croatian Visa necessary for European cruises.
On occasion, non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Alien Residents may be asked to surrender their passport and/or Alien Resident Card at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection at the time of debarkation. Non-U.S. citizens that are eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program, must still have a valid unexpired passport. U.S. State Department regulations require all guests traveling from visa-waiver countries be in possession of a machine-readable passport that includes a biometric identifier - e.g., embedded digital photograph. Otherwise, guests will be required to obtain a U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa. Guests without proper identification may be refused boarding or entry into the United States.
Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa Requirements
During your Mediterranean or Transatlantic voyage, you will be visiting various countries such as Spain, France, Italy, Portugal and Croatia. Specific countries will vary depending on the voyage you have chosen. Some of these countries are members of the Schengen Agreement. Countries participating in the Schengen Agreement are listed below. Because the ship may be departing and re-entering countries which participate in the Schengen Agreement, certain nationalities will be required to obtain a Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa (for at least two entries) prior to joining the ship. A Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa may be required if your passport has been issued by a country other than the United States, Canada or European Community.
30 Cruises with Carnival,
Reply With Quote