View Single Post
Old July 4th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak first timer View Post
Thanks for the info guys.
Donna, I will be stopping in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. After getting to Whittier I will be continuing on the land portion to Mt. McKinley, Denali, and Fairbanks. I am wondering if anyone took the helicopter excursion to the Arctic Circle. I want to land on the glacier and wonder if you take the Arctic excursion if you also get to land on a glacier. The website descriptions are not very informative. I like talking to folks who have actually done the trip.
I am only 45 years old, but have cancer and this will probably be the last trip I get to take. I want to do the best! I am not into Hokey, disney-like excursions. I want to see the unique and awesome. I have done the whale watching off the coast of the Azores. Probably would like something different this time.

What is the Island Princess ship like? I know it is not brand new, but maybe has been upgraded since its inception?
The Island Princess is our favorite ship! It's not too big, not too small. It's very easy to find your way around. The crew are great! We did love the whale watching in Juneau. The captain of our whale watching boat had to keep moving to keep the "legal" limit between us and the whales ! We enjoyed the White Pass railroad in Skagway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak first timer View Post
Hi guys!
Does it really matter which side of the ship your cabin is on for the scenice cruising? Currently, I have a suite on the Dolphin deck, but is on the port side of the ship. Am I going to miss the scenery since going north the starbird side of the ship is facing land? I am hoping that when we sail into the scenic areas we have to turn around to cruise back out and I will get to see it all from my balcony.
There's good scenery on both sides of the ship. Yes, when you're in a scenic area the Captain will turn the ship so that everyone can see. If you don't mind looking "backward" the aft decks are great for viewing the scenery.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014