View Single Post
Old August 1st, 2010, 06:14 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to profln71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermuda Triangle View Post
Just heard from friends of their "worst cruise ever"

Ship was dirty, air conditioning failed in large areas of the ship, and food was not good

Has anyone else received such a report, as we were hoping to go on the Maasdam for its last trip in Canada-New England and repositioning south

Thanks
Hi Bermuda Triangle , I was on the Maasdam Canada-New England from June 5th to the 11th ( Boston to Montreal ) . I was a little disappointed with this HAL cruise for many reasons : I knew it was a smaller ship , so there are fewer areas to stroll through . It's VERY annoying to go to the front desk on deck 7 and then you must go up or down to another deck as you are stuck in a dead end ( no other way out ! ) . This is also disturbing when you are on your way to the dining room . The theatre-lounge has very poor visibility ( sit only in the first row of the balcony section or else you won't see much of the show ,maybe an arm or two or their hairdoo ) . The oceanview stateroom was rather tiny and I was awakened every morning at 6:00 AM with the trolleys (breakfast being served to those who requested room service : trays , dishes , metal covers, cutlery all being tossed around ) as well as loud conversations in the hallway so early in the morning when everyone is still trying to sleep ! So bring your earplugs as walls are paperthin also ! There are crewmembers painting/varnishing practically all the time , as it really needs to be refurbished ( from its tired appearance ) ! When I boarded there was a foul odor ( sewers ? ) permeating throughout the ship ! Other passengers were complaining about this aroma and hoping that it would dissipate before dinner . Fortunately , it did . I was also taken aback when I got on board and made my way to the dining room for lunch : they told me I had to go to the Lido for lunch with all the mayhem as all passengers are sent up to that venue for lunch , where it is just about impossible to get a free table . So I made my way to the front desk to complain about this situation as well as the wrong bed disposition in my stateroom . All the meals I took on board were very good ( never having to send anything back ) . Nevertheless , I doubt very much that I will ever again book a cruise on the MS Maasdam , even after it has been refurbished ! Lane