View Single Post
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to mmerali Send a message via Skype™ to mmerali

Oh, and here's my story:

This happened to me on my first cruise as a teen (Navigator '04).

My first cruise as a teen was on Navigator of the Seas. We were supposed to have visited St. Thomas, San Juan, and St. Maarten along with Nassau. The week we sailed also happened to coincide with hurricane Frances. It was also before Royal Caribbean initiated their rentacop/1am curfew movement.

The cruise started off just fine, we missed Nassau in order to be able to navigate the hurricane...fine by me, I'd been to Nassau before and I really had no problem skipping for a sea day. First night at the club was great too. Plenty of new friends all around.

Making a long story short, we ended up skipping St. Maarten as well, eventually docking in Antigua a day late. The captain was adamant on making St. Thomas too, which meant skipping San Juan (which I was really looking forward to at the time). After St. Thomas, we sailed for Port of Miami which ended up closing for two days thanks to the hurricane. Yes, that means my 7 day cruise became a 9 day cruise.

Looking back, I'll note that we spent 5 days at sea (insane thought for a non-transatlantic cruise). Ironically though, it was sunny and calm the entire ride. I consider this arguably my second best cruise. I have friends from that cruise I still talk to and keep in touch with (this summer marks 6 years). Cruise friends don't have to be just for a week.
CCL:
Carnivale (2/11/93)
Ecstasy (9/5/94)
Fantasy (2/20/00)
Fascination (8/26/00) (2/18/02)
Conquest (2/20/05)
Inspiration (8/18/07)
Liberty (3/15/08.)
Dream (3/3/12)
Sensation (8/19/12)
NCL:
Sea (2/22/03)