View Single Post
  #8 (permalink)  
Old August 6th, 2010, 09:40 PM
KC Gorilla KC Gorilla is offline
Junior Member
Familiar Face
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 16
Send a message via ICQ to KC Gorilla

Originally Posted by Queen of Diamonds View Post
I cruise at least once a year and often more, with my grandsons, whose last names are not the same as mine. We have been cruising since they were small and one is now 22 and the younger is 17. Before our first cruise the TA told me to get a notarized letter from both their parents, which I did, and I've had one for every cruise since. In all the cruises we have taken since then, I have been asked (RCCL) if I have the form with me, and when I said yes, and offered to show it to them, they said No, that's fine as long as it's with you. Princess cruise lines did the same. Holland America is the only cruise line that asked me to produce the form and they copied it...
I use the form from the Cruise Diva website. In the search box just enter 'permission letter' and it will come right up.

I would add, if this is your own child you do not need it legally. You can travel anywhere with your own
child, this is just a Cruise line thing....
This is not necessarily true. I checked the U.S. State Department website and only looked at Mexico and I found the following:
Mexican law requires that any non-Mexican citizen under the age of 18 departing Mexico must carry notarized written permission from any parent or guardian not traveling with the child to or from Mexico. This permission must include the name of the parent, the name of the child, the name of anyone traveling with the child, and the notarized signature(s) of the absent parent(s).

It may not be checked nor enforced but I would not take the chance. As others have said don't take the chance of being denied boarding.
Reply With Quote