View Single Post
Old August 9th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Captain

EB,

Your itinerary does sound doable. We have been to Alaska 14 times and just canít seem to get enough of it!!

A bit of background on where I am coming from is that my husband and I are not big city fans (not that Anchorage is all that big). We just are not into shops and museums, etc; we enjoy the scenery and majesty of Alaska away from the cities. Based on our own personal preferences, for your first full day in Anchorage, we would recommend driving south west of Anchorage to the Cooper Landing area, near Soldotna in the Kenai Peninsula. A great place for lunch along this route is the Princess Kenai lodge, which is a couple of miles off the highway near Cooper Landing.

As for car rental, I just checked AVIS and found a price of $323 for five days and $315 for a seven day rental for a full size car, for the time period that you mentioned of 5/30/11 to 6/4/11. This price includes $106 in taxes and surcharges, but donít get me going on that one! If there is any way you can extend your stay in Alaska before your cruise to seven days, I would highly recommend that you do. Renting a car and going on your own is for me the best way to see and enjoy Alaska. In the past you could drive your own car part way into Denali, but I donít remember just how far.

If your are interested in the Iditarod sled dog race, there is an Iditarod headquarters located right on the way to Denali in Wasilla. It is a very interesting place to visit.

Most people that we have talked to have said that the best whale watching trips are out of Juneau, with Captain Larry. Have never used any tour company, so I canít offer any suggestions there. The only thing I remember from reading is if you use one, to tour Denali Park is to be sure you take one that goes all the way into the park, which, BTW, is quite a long way.

We usually stay at the McKinley Princess Lodge near Denali. About 1 hour from the park entrance. There are several hotels right at the entrance to the park. You may want to check into the Alaskan Toursaver book which has many buy one night and get one free at various hotels and lodges in Alaska.

Hope some of this helps,

Enjoy your vacation in Alaska.

Debra

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com