View Single Post
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
True - but there is a difference. The dollar is the world currency. There are many nations where they prefer dollars. Not as much as it used to be, but...

I guarantee you there are places in America where they will take the peso or loonie (is that how you write it?)
Loonies and toonies it is................but nowhere in the U.S. will take them. I live on the border of Ontario and New York. So you would expect a border town to take them, but they don't. nada - not even at the shopping malls.

The dollar is the world currency but it's beginning to lose that place but that is not the issue when spending money visiting other countries. There is no European country that will take the U.S. dollar and that I guarantee. Nor will any Asian or African country. The only places outside the U.S. are Canada and most of the Caribbean Islands.

Euro in Europe is the only accepted currency and in England the British pound.

There may be a few third world countries who will take it but really, not any that count. Now I will qualify that in saying we have been told that our upcoming excursions in Egypt and Israel will take payment in U. S. dollars but we have been told to take local currency for spending and anything else.

There is a big difference in a currency being the value that other currencies are set by. That does not mean it is accepted as everyday spending.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.