View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Bring back the calypso bands

Over the past couple years, I have sailed several cruise lines. They all have their pros and cons, but the one thing I have come to expect on all cruises is calypso bands by the pool. Over the years, these 4-5 person bands play by the pool every day and create a perfect cruise vacation relaxing atmosphere. It is the one thing that we have come to love about cruising over the years.

Unfortunately, our last two Carnival cruises have had two person "bands..." or duos. We've been told that all Carnival ships have replaced their calypso bands with these duos. These duos are one cutback that we are so unhappy about. We wish Carnival could cutback in just about any single other area, as this is not only noticeable, but it was our favorite part of cruising. The bands (not the duos) really do make a difference in terms of getting cruisers engaged and ready to have a good time and relax. There are significant sound differences. Every other cruise line still has these 4-5 person calypso bands where cruisers enjoy the atmosphere and often engage with the bands dancing and singing. The duos now are dull and not engaging. The music is not the same. I heard many cruisers comment and complain about this, and I have read about many cruisers complain about this cutback - ONLY on Carnival. I shouldn't have to cruise another line just for their calypso bands. Many cruisers share the same concern, so I hope Carnival considers bringing back the calypso bands instead of the duos.

Whether Carnival has to get rid of the magicians or one solo act, please do what it takes to bring this back. Also, it was hard to find calypso bands playing for carnival recently in a youtube search, yet I found many clips from these bands playing on other lines. There really is a difference, and Carnival should replace the duos with the calypso bands like they used to have and that every other line (RCCL, Norwegian) still has. Check out the differences:

Carnival calypso band YEARS AGO in 2007 BEFORE THEY CUT BACK AND GOT RID OF THE BANDS AND REPLACED THEM WITH DUOS:

YouTube - Carnival Triumph Band - 2007

Here are two clips of the duos playing RECENTLY AFTER THE CUTBACK FROM CALYPSO BAND TO CALYPSO DUO:

YouTube - Carnival Cruise to Mexico - Jan 09 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDmtr...eature=related

Here are calypso bands within the past few months ON OTHER CRUISE LINES. They still have them and they sound great. I've read great reviews of these calypso bands on every ship on non-Carnival cruise lines. If they have them and passengers love them and miss them on Carnival, why can't Carnival bring them back? There really is a difference:

YouTube - oasis of the seas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrchL...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGhI7...eature=related
Sponsored Links