View Single Post
Old October 29th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb View Post
Karen16,
Thanks for your feedback. It has made us do more research and we have added more days to the land travel.
We really don't like riding buses and Denali is one big bus ride no matter what bus you pick. We have decided to rent a 4WD and drive the Denali Hwy and stay in some cabins there for a day or so. We are going to skip the PWS tour for now and spend all our time driving around and exploring.
We will arrive in Anchorage about 2:30PM. We the are going to look around Anchorage a little and the start our drive tour the next day.
We also plan on a short ride on the shuttle into the park. I know that the Denali Hwy is not Denali park but is also is not a bus for endless hours.
We have expanded our land portion to seven days.
We are leaving it open to do a PWS tour or Kenai tour if we find that the self-driving tour get washed out by weather or we change our mind about where we are going once we get there.
We enjoy exploring so the drive, although over 600+ miles is not a big deal.
We also know that we can't travel at 75 mph on these roads and some are 30 mph and below, but we like that too.
I have seen reviews from people that have driven this road and have seen all kinds of wildlife. So that is what we are doing.
We are booked on the 6/4/11 SB.
I know we have been all over the map, so to speak, on our itinerary but that has been part of the learning experience. We have road maps, downloaded gps info and printed off lots of info on everything else so off we go.

Your input is welcome once again on this, Thanks again
EB

You continue to have some problems with your ideas. It is not likely that you will have full grading of the Denali Highway, going as early as you are. You also have to have a car rental contract that allows you to drive this road. Most all of the major rentals do not allow it. In the past, National was the only compary. Have you looked into this? You are taking a BIG risk IF you choose to ignore this. There are no services, and cell service can be nil. Many rentals have GPS.

I would encourage you to consider the shuttle bus to Toklat in Denali park. It is very good, and offers some spectacular scenery along with good wildlife potential.

Where are you looking at to "drive"?? 7 days isn't a lot of time, so I would choose this carefully. For the most scenery, I would definately recommend the Glenn and Richardson Highway Glennallen/Valdez segment. Add in Hatcher Pass from Palmer, and a look/trek of Matanuska. This is FAR more scenic compared to the Parks. A real nice loop is to ferry Valdez/Whittier.