View Single Post
Old November 27th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Sus.. I have no issue with people who hate the idea of smoking anywhere. But you are doing exactly what I was suggesting the point was.... sending your message to the cruise line, by letting your money speak for you.

My point all along in this discussion... the cruise lines will change their policies the fastest if you don't give them your money, and let them know why.

By continuing to support them financially people are giving them at least tepid support for their current policies to continue. Even if loyal customers complain, but keep booking, they'll think they can keep them as customers and perhaps attract another audience as well.
I see what you're trying to say. In our case, after the last smokey HAL b2b, my husband told me not to book any more HAL cruises until they ban smoking on balconies & in cabins. Our next cruise was on Celebrity, and we reeeeeeeeeeally enjoyed the fresh sea air on our balcony :-).
Still, I believe that it makes sense for customers to be proactive even if they're not threatening to take their business elsewhere. If you love everything else about a business except one thing, I don't think it's unreasonable at all to tell the company about it, and ask for changes. If more nonsmokers were more assertive with HAL, I think they'd get more consideration, yes, even short of a boycot.
HAL has some awesome itineraries that Celebrity doesn't offer, that I'd love to try. In the interim, I still send an occasional email to HAL, asking if they're any closer to a ban on cabin & balcony smoking, because I'd very much like to book a nice long HAL cruise when they do.