View Single Post
Old November 28th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Since we usually eat in the PG every HAL cruise we take, we thought we would go to the main dining room for once (BAD IDEA ON OUR PART, but only because we are selective about our eating habits). We both ordered on first nite Veal Cordon Bleu--recipe said it was coated with parmesian cheese but it tasted like fried corn flakes. It was flat (not rolled), had cheese and ham, and came with red sauce on the side. VCB never has red sauce, is usually rolled, is thin, and thinly coated. We felt rushed despite the fact that hubby told waiter to serve us last, to take his time. We were one of the first ones done. That was that in the MDR. We took the rest of the dinners in the PG. We became friends with Maitre'D, Sanjay, and with Chef Michael (FANTASTIC AND REALLY A NICE MAN!). I was able to order off their menu,order anything from Main Dining Room (if we wanted) and one nite, Michael actually made me a chicken dish not on any menu (except in his own mind). It was delicious. We don't do shows and were not rushed at all. Every nite, we were the last to leave--11 pm or later (8-8:30 reservation). We caught up with our friend, Walter, the Bev Manager, and met Eric, the cellar master. We also met a few times Master Chef Andreus who ended up giving us a bottle of HAL EVOO and Balsamic vinegar (after I commented on them). Great, great, great time there and excellent wait staff!
Ok, here are some MDR menus (no dates mentioned, as there are no dates on bottom of paper--sorry):
Appetizers (A from now on): chilled lychees with kiwi wedges; jumbo shrimp cocktail, mille feuille of duck foie gras, steamed manilla clams in white wine
Soup/salad (S/S)os Frijoies soup, cream of 4 mushroom, chilled sour cherry, salad caprese
Entree (E): linguine with scallops/shrimp, brazilian shrimp salad, spice rubbed grilled swordfish steak, land and sea (surf/turf), herb encrusted rack of lamp with mint basil pesto, pheasant breast in sage walnut sauce, grilled polenta and eggplant napoleon
Desserts were on another menu (have to find that one) but every night had a different ice cream sundae.

available daily: french onion soup, classic caesar salad, grilled coho salmon, grilled chicken breast, broiled NY strip steak

another nite:
A: citrus delight with amaretto, salmon ceviche with orange zest and capers, chilled green asparagrus with oven roasted tomatoes, warm greek sampler (aka antipasta)
S/S: pistou soup, corn and yellow squash soup with crabmeat, chilled mixed berry soup, smoked salmon, pear and fennel salad
E: gnocchi with garlic cream sauce, grilled lamb brochette and marinated veg salad, grispy sweet & sour shrimp, slow roasted strip loin of beef, osso bucco milanese, roasted chick breast with fig balsamic reduction, sweet and sour tofu

A:fruit ceviche, seared ahi tuna carpaccio, eggplant caponata, carib fish cake and crispy shrimp
S/S: carib pepper pot soup, curried breadfruit soup, chill gunabana soup, great sound salad
E: pasta parcel with zucchini ribbons, avocado citrus salad, dark and stormy ginger yellow fin tuna, master chef braised short ribs, island spiced rack of pork, carib jerk chick breast, curried veggie cutlet

A: fruit cocktail celebration, crab tower with avocado salsa, carpaccio of beef tenderloin, grilled 4 mushroom crostini
S/S: seafood soup provencal, cream of chick and artichoke soup, chill carrot and orange bisque with cumin (HAD AN AFTERTASTE), hear of romaine lettuce nicoise
E: penne with crisp pancetta, farmer's choice market, sauteed rockfish, prime rib au jus, veal cordon bleu (DO NOT GET THIS, PLEASE!), guava stuffed chick, asia veggies noodles

A: melon trio, Italian proscutto ham, salmon tartar with avocado, golden baked brie in phyllo
S/S: oxtail en croute, lobster bisque, chilled strawberry bisque, MC Rudi's salad
E: tagliatelle with roast chick, girlled chinese 5 spice tuna with crispy tortilla saladm, apricot glazed salmon, tenderloin of beef, grill lamb chops with oregano and apple chutney, duck breast a l'orange, wild mushroom strudel

THANKSGIVING DINNER:
A:ambrosia fruit, harvest met terrine and poached dilled shrimp, shrimp cocktail
S/S: spiced pumpkin soup, game consomme with aged port, classic vichyssoise,, bibb lettuce salad with orange and fennel
E: traditional Thanks turkey with everything, rib eye steak au jus, grilled salmon fillet with crab cake, pumpkin ravioli with oven roasted veggies (I ORDERED THIS BUT MICHAEL in PG SERVED ME SOMETHING HE CREATED WITH HIS OWN SAUCE--TO DIE FOR!!!!!!)

A: fruit with peach snapps, jumbo shrimp cocktail, duck foie gras pate, paddlefish caviar and smoked salmon, escargots bourguignon
S/S: chicken and rice soup, tomato and fennel soup, chilled anjou pear soup, mixed green salad with pears
E: mushroom ravioli, fresh mozzarella and tomato salad, broiled halibut with lime tarragon aioli, surf and turf, roasted rack of veal, parmesan crusted chicken breast, oven baked eggplant parm

I have to look for the rest of the dessert menus but here is one which I found:
old fashioned pumpkin pie, apple and walnut torte a la mode, choc pecan pie, pumpkin crumble tart, sliced fruit plate, assorted cheese plate;
ice creams:van, choc, butter pecan, straw sorbet, peach low fat frozen yogurt, no suggar add choc and van ice cream; thanksgiving sundae with apple cider spiced peaches, van ice cream and walnut brittle crisp.
Hopefully, I lost the three pounds I gained by typing all of this.

Menu on PG is different from above and does not change daily (unless you get to know the right people and then you can have whatever you want).

Have a great cruise --start dieting now!!!!