We just returned from a GREAT cruise on the Explorer of the Seas (November 19 Ė 28, 2010) and I wanted to share some things we learned.
1. Big ships (over 1,000 feet) still rock and roll. Stabilizers help a lot, but you will still feel the motion of the ocean. We had very calm seas and still some people got sick.
2. No need to bring shampoo. The ship has shampoo dispensers in all the showers.
3. Donít book a cruise over the holidays, unless you like lots of kids. There were over 800 kids onboard this Thanksgiving cruise.
4. Pack fewer clothes than you think. We never wore everything we packed.
5. The only clock in your cabin is on the telephone and is very small and does not light up. So consider bringing an alarm clock.
6. Bringing a small night-light was a nice addition.
7. They will charge you $20 for towels not returned. We brought our own.
8. Have a few glasses of wine or beer before you go to the loading area for the tender boats at Samana. Loading the boats was totally disorganized and chaotic. It was like this was the first time the cruise line had to load boats. They almost put us on the wrong boat.
9. Do not flush the toilet while still sitting down.
10. Promenade cabins are very nice. It was a good choice. Bed/bedding was extremely comfortable.
11. The ship used 6,200 pounds of turkey and only had one and a half pounds left over. No left over turkey sandwiches.
2013 Grandeur of the Seas
2013 Explorer of the Seas
2011 Celebrity Mercury
2010 Explorer of the Seas
1990 Costa Riviera
1988 Carnival Holiday