View Single Post
Old December 13th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy View Post
Playing devils advocate here I say why should we pay the crew more? Will their service level increase? My guess is no. They are not employees of the passengers, they are employees of the cruise lines. If cruise lines are nervous about losing long time employees to another line then increase their hourly wage. If you pass it on to the passenger in the form of higher fares so be it. There are choices out there for all of us. Ok, yes you can remove some or all of someones tips if their service is poor. I for one dont want to be on a list for all employees to see that I removed tips. Then the service level will really go down. Double edge sword. Does the staff generally warrant more money? Probably. But let the customer decide to add to their tips based on service rendered. Of course all lines will soon follow. Employees will want to jump ship to another cruise line if they know the pay is better. Dig deeper folks, its a reality of cruising these days.
There is no autotipping on Royal Caribbean so nothing to remove/reduce. Also Royal Caribbean currently has what I believe is the lowest recommended tipping amount ($9.75 per person/day) of any of the mainstream cruiselines. They are just moving up to be around the same amount that the the other lines currently recommend/charge ($10-$12+ per person/day mark). I don't see a $1.90 per person/day increase to be that big of a deal, especially since this is the first increase in 13 years.

And for those who keep saying that it should be added to the fare, that can easily be done by either ticking the box when you book online to have the tips prepaid; tell your TA you wish to prepay the tips or contact Royal Caribbean, if you booked directly, and ask to have the tips prepaid. This will include the amount in your final payment and you no longer need to worry about tipping your room steward/wait staff once on board. If you wish you can add extra, but it isn't required.