Thread: Passport Help
View Single Post
Old January 1st, 2011, 07:09 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks to everyone for their input. Husband and I have cruised with Carnival since 2004. We have passports, we rarely take our kids since we consider cruise time "our time." A few years ago as a graduation present for our 17 and 13 year olds we took them on a 3 day to Ensenada. They just had birth certificates and high school, Jr. high ID. We had no problems. When we booked this cruise we asked if our daughter (now 16) could travel with just her birth cert. our cruise advisor said yes. We booked her and her friend, who both just turned 16 in Oct.

I happened to be reading some travel related things and saw "state issued Id." Well our daughter is in the process of getting her DL but she has to wait til Janurary because in CA you have to pay for drivers training and you cant apply for a license until 6 months after you complete it. My daughters friends mother is from an unfortuante situation and she couldn't afford drivers training. So basically I found out a week ago they might/or might not need state issued id? There was no way I could get id in time. Carnival couldn't tell me, the cruise agent couldn't tell me. Even Customs said "Well is up to the port and we have ways of verifying citizenship." So I just posted here in hopes someone else may have been through what we are about to go through. We leave tomorrow. I'm hoping I dont have to put two teenagers on a flight out of San Diego.

Thanks