View Single Post
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to RevNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
1. Is the buffet any good (just came off Grandeur which had a horrible buffet)
Food is always subjective, but in my opinion the Lido Buffet on HAL ships is excellent. The variety is usually sufficient for most people, and on the Eurodam they have multiple stations with several different nationalities of food available (Asian, Italian, American, etc). Their burgers and pizza are excellent, and it's hard to beat a good sandwich or wrap and they have those made to order. The lay out of the Lido may take a little getting used to, so when you first go there wander around a bit and see what the various stations have to offer.

Quote:
2. Is the MDR open for lunch on port days? I like to avoid the buffet at all costs.
The MDR is open on port days where there is a late arrival. If it's an early arrival, it's usually NOT open. In other words, it varies from port to port.

Quote:
3. I think I understand how the soda card works, but is there an unlimitted package, like on other lines?
I wish there were, but there's not. At least, there hasn't been when I've been aboard, and I was last aboard a HAL ship in July/August 2010.

Quote:
4. Is the kid's club any good? My kids are 3 and 4.
I'm told that it varies from cruise to cruise. On the Eurodam, however, you DO have an excellent Club HAL facility, and if the itinerary is anywhere near spring break the chances are there will be a lot of kids onboard. I don't know about your age of children, though. Someone else with kids will have to remark on that.

Quote:
5. According to the HAL website, it appears that you can bring wine on board, and there are no limitations. I certainly don't want to carry 7 bottles of wine on board, but is that allowed? Is there a good wine store near port everglades to stop at? Or at FLL?
Yes, you can bring your own wine aboard ship. If you want to drink it in the MDR you'll have to pay a corkage fee (I think it's $18 per bottle). As for wine stores in FLL, I'm sure there are some ... I've never done the "buy wine and bring it aboard" thing, though, so I can't say.

Quote:
6. What time is the early dining? I havent finalized my preference yet. We generally like to eat around 6:30, but I am thinking of trying AYWD. With two young kids though, i don't want long waits. The travel agent seem to think that the early seating was at 5:30 which seems to early.
I think early fixed seating is 6 pm. I prefer 8:30 pm of second seating. With kids, I think the best dining choice would be the Open Seating ... if you go before 6:30 I think you'll be fine. I know sometimes there's a short wait. At least, that's what I've been able to discern from what people have said, but that will vary from cruise to cruise depending upon the likes and dislikes of your fellow passengers.

Quote:
7. Are the shows any good?
Well ... that depends upon what you like in a show. Some people really enjoy the song-and-dance routines and the acts by the entertainers who are brought aboard ship. Others don't like that kind of entertainment at all. Some consider it sub-standard relative to other cruise lines, while others like it nevertheless. Personally, I enjoy seeing how the ship's cast interprets a show I've seen a dozen times on prior cruises, so that's not an issue for me. However, Broadway it isn't. The entertainers DO try very hard, and some of them are very talented.

I hope the above helps. I've not answered your last question because I really don't know.

Booked and Up-Coming:
MS Amsterdam -- Alaska 14 -Days, September 7, 2012