View Single Post
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to RevNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
The fact of the matter is that I think MOST nonsmokers, like my wife and me, find modern ships to be very good about the control of smoking and preventing it from disturbing the average nonsmoker. I have never had a cabin (or a hotel room) in which I found any trace at all of previous smokers. I think the cruise lines must have some marvelous super secret deodorizer! It is also hard for me to understand complaints about smoke drifting from another balcony. Certainly at sea the breeze is enough to blow it away. When the ship is perfectly still maybe it would be slightly noticeable.
For the most part, I agree with this too. My personal experience over the past 16 years has been HAL does an excellent job of cleaning cabins between passengers, and that when one has smokers in-cabin they do significantly more to prepare the cabin for the next cruises' passengers. I've been in cabins that had smokers in them before my cruise and I have only once been able to tell that a smoker had been in-residence immediately before me. In that case the ship's staff took measures to make it right. Granted, I'm not hyper-sensitive to smoke or ash; someone who is might have had more problems than I. Nevertheless, I think that since sufficient measures can be and are taken to clean cabins between cruises, it might be possible to allow in-cabin smoking. On the Verandah is another matter. Granted, in many cases motion-generated wind will serve to ventilate the verandahs sufficiently. Sadly, the ship isn't always in-motion and, additionally, sometimes the particular flow of wind evacuates the smoke from the smoker's verandah directly to a neighbor's verandah. In short, it can be a problem.

To put it simply, I think that HAL has recently taken several excellent steps to reduce the impact of smoking on non-smokers. Further steps might be taken to greatly reduce that impact even more. I don't expect, however, that HAL ships will go entirely smoke-free at any point in the near future.

Booked and Up-Coming:
MS Amsterdam -- Alaska 14 -Days, September 7, 2012