[Ed. Note: we removed the part of this post that referred to posting policy, but we are restoring the discussion about Regent. We realize Eric's posts are strongly opinionated, but we do allow opinion on our boards and we do not think Eric is unfairly biased. If you have a different opinion from Eric we more than welcome you to post it here. These boards are for discussion of cruise products - so let's please proceed down that path.]
Regent Seven Seas profusely markets that its cruises are a great "value" and that everything is "free". In fact, quoting directly from Regent's website (capitalization is original to Regent):
Regent Seven Seas Cruises fares include*:
- FREE Roundtrip Air
- FREE Unlimited Shore Excursions
- FREE Luxury Hotel Package
- FREE Business Class Air in Penthouse Suites and higher on Europe sailings
- FREE beverages including fine wines, beer and premium spirits, soft drinks, bottled water, specialty coffees and tea served throughout the ship
- FREE in-suite mini-bar replenished daily with soft drinks, beer and bottled water
- FREE 24-hour room service and no additional charge for specialty restaurants
- FREE Pre-Paid Gratuities..."
It is absolutely appropriate to discuss the "value" provided by Regent and if what it is providing is "free". It is also absolutely appropriate to use examples to compare and contrast to determine what that "value" is.
Personally I find absolutely no value in not having to sign for things. I have worn the ink off of my credit card handing it over at the finest restaurants and, in the past, exercised my wrist signing at the country club. Many people do find value in it, however. (I look at the total cost of the cruise; not whether I use my card for something other than opening my suite door.)
Similarly, how does one determine the level of service. If Regent's service is comparable to Celebrity or NCL does it make it outstanding...or ordinary? It may be perfectly acceptable to particular person, but for someone expecting more or different a discussion of same on this board is appropriate.
Now, if someone would like to post a "Coke vs. Pepsi" type challenge or comparison on the Seabourn, Crystal, Silversea, Celebrity, etc. board comparing Regent to that cruise product and emphasizing why they think Regent is a superior value I think it would be a great idea.