View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Paul,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
I don't know - but this kind of ticks me off. Are they allowed to do this without a warrant, etc? Just because it is a concert cruise does that give then the right to go searching.

I understand illegal prescription drugs being bad. But I think a lot of people don't always carry them in their prescription bottles even if they are valid, just because that is too bulky and you risk losing the bottle, etc.

If people have illegal drugs I guess they are fair game, but I don't like the idea that future music cruises will be raided in due course just because they are music cruises.
The "drug sniffing" dogs have very well honed noses that can detect a miniscule quantity of an illegal substance. The agents cannot search somebody without probable cause, but they have probable cause as soon as the dogs indicate that somebody is carrying drugs or that there are drugs in a checked bag.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that the prescription drugs probably were in the posession or the luggage of the passengers whom the authorities busted for illegal drugs. Once the authorities make an arrest, they do a complete inventory of the person's legal posessions as a matter of normal course to maintain accountability and to ensure their return upon the individual's release from custody. If they found additional contraband (prescription drugs for which the individual does not have a proper prescription), that contraband could result in additional charges.

Norm.