View Single Post
Old January 13th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Funny you should mention this. There are so many talented people on this earth. Often the amount the amount of talent they possess is not commensurate with the amount of success and fame they achieve.

Last night a lady had asked me about a Sax player who played with my Mom's band years ago. I knew immediately who she was talking about. The guy was legendary. He played like he was making love to his saxophone and all the women would just throw themselves at him (sometimes they threw their clothes, hotel keys, phone numbers lol)... He was the very best sax player I ever heard in my life, even better than Boots Randolph. But he died a relatively young man in his late 50's or early 60's, his body ravaged by alcohol, cigarettes and probably women lol. It was tragic really to be that talented and self destructive.

One of our great trumpet players was fantastic, he too died young. He has just finished a contract on a Holland America ship. He disembarked in France and died of a heart attack before he ever left the country.

We had a drummer who drove his car off a bridge late one night, this story could go on and on. We had a singer who could have blown George Benson right off the stage but he was a hot mess. He wouldn't show up on time for jobs. He could not get his act together and though he had great talent he was doomed to fail. Then there's our bipolar trombone player who was great when he felt great, and a miserable son of a gun when felt bad, and brought everyone else down with him.

Such is life. Sometime attaining fame and fortune has more to do with being in the right place at the right time, rather than having the most talent.

Read and post cruise reviews