Thread: Northern Europe
View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Talking Eight hours to see a port

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Eight hours to see a port? Venice? Rome? Athens? Buenos Aires? Rio? Saigon? Hong Kong? Beijing? Shanghai? Bangkok? Singapore? Sydney? I can't believe that you can consider eight hours enough to see anywhere; even a small town in middle America. There are places that four hours was enough; not because I had seen it all, but because I did not like what I had seen. Still, never think that you can see the world just by cruising port to port for eight hours at a time.

Marc
HMMM? Then, Marc, why are you such a frequent poster on a cruise board? Are you also on long term stay boards, rent a villa boards, hike the countryside boards? If so then you have a truly wide range of travel experiences.

Cruising is the way we like to see the world. Nice long days on ship, pleasant surroundings, convenience, and eight hours to get off and see two or three five star attractions wherever we are.

There are, indeed, a few exceptions. London, Venice, Rome, Egypt and Athens have all been places we returned to. OTOH Capetown, Tasmania, Patagonia, Montevideo, Honduras, Grand Cayman, Cartagena, Boca Valero on the Amazon, Batumi Georgia, Split Croatia, Patmos, Waterford, Ensenada, Charlottetown, Marseille, Gydnia, Sinop -- well the list goes on and on -- were all places that an eight hour port call pretty thoroughly exhausted our interest in!

Hey, if you want to take a three week tour that stays with a local family in China -- or Ohio -- to really "get to know the country", then go for it. Since cruising is my choice of ways to travel, I accept the eight hour port calls, and consider that I have been exposed to quite a bit of the world that way.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html