View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:53 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I want to know how they detected the runrunners?

They must have been doing baggage checks. Do you know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
They found a lot with them, but then a lot may have gone through. In my case I think it was the 8 coke bottles. When they see them they may suspect mixers and just tag the bag. They will then find them by searching. If you use rum runners, don't pack cokes or other suspect items in same bag.

Not sure if they did physical searches. I don't think so. My bag was secured by cable ties (another thread) and it was not opened until we were in the naughty room.
Rumrunners do show up on xray - it's just that the shape and material (thin plastic and thin profile layer of liquid) isn't what they have been traditionally searching for (bottle shape, glass, metal cap), and it is harder to see - but not invisible. You can see the outline of the organic liquid / plastic if you look closely and also detect the plastic cap. It's tough though: 2000+ passengers = 6000+ bags many times. That's a lot of bags to scan in 4 to 6 hours or so. 1000 to 1500 per hour or 20 per minute. With two scanners fully operational for 6 hours (think inattention, maintenance/breakdown, operator skill, etc) that's still only 7 seconds per bag. Imagine trying to focus your attention for any period of time doing this, even with breaks and rotating personnel. Add that there are many permissible liquids - flagging every container that could possibly contain alcohol is impossible - half the bags would wind up in the naughty room.

Xrays generally show organics, inorganics, and metals in computer enhanced colors. But newer equipment can distinguish more accurately the density of different materials, including fluids, and computer technology can be programmed to flag / highlight / alarm this thus greatly increasing operator's ability to flag the bag. Alcohol has a different density than water and many other liquids, so it can be distinguished. The future is one of increased scrutiny and ability to detect alcohol, and of course, of more innovative ways of smuggling.

From a smuggler's point of view, smaller is better, thinner is better, shapes that don't look like containers are better, location is important, as is the angle the beam(s) hits the bag at, which is somewhat random do to orientation on the bag belt. Breaking up the stash amongst several bags gives a better chance of some of it making it through, as does having a "sacrificial lamb" in the bag(s), though this could be negated by rescanning.

I don't cruise that often, so I'm hardly an expert. But this is just the common sense logistics of security. The cruise lines have seen and know pretty much every trick in the book. Their security managers are often ex navy types and have years of experience dealing with sailors smuggling everything under the sun as well as the civilian cruise booze tactics. They aren't the idiots some people on cruise boards think they are (the one's who say "Don't post that, now they'll be looking for it, they read these boards"). Right I don't have their experience, but even so, if it were my job I'd know just a bit more about it than the passengers.

Just my thoughts.