View Single Post
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:53 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I know this will be a great cruise! BTW, I know and have cruised with Marc and his wife several times, and have been on safari to Africa with them and other cruise friends, though we live many miles apart! My cruise to Antarctica was not on this ship, unfortunately. PAII was not under Silversea's umbrella at the time, and I was on the Explorer II (now Minerva) chartered at the time by Regent for several weeks each year. However, I have cruised 24 nights with Silversea on other ships, and know people who have been on her (on the itinerary cruised by Paul) and have every confidence she will not disappoint!

The best thing about these longer itineraries to Antarctica is that including South Georgia allows one to observe and walk among the King Penguins, the very largest penguins other than the Emperors I believe. Seeing those Kings was truly the highlight of my cruise. I also enjoyed the Falklands, as it was a good chance to do some "land excursions" rather than just by Zodiac, and of course, you go all that way, so may as well do as many stops as possible. The low point was getting there, as it was quite rough getting to the Falklands, and coming back to Ushuaia, we did NOT have the ever wished for "Drake Lake". But I would do it again in a heartbeat!