View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Admiral

A late good afternoon (and for those across the "pond") a good evening to all!

My heart and prayers go out to Trip's friend and Brenda's.

A typical mostly cloudy winter day here in upper East Tennessee.

I certainly don't envy your experience with your Pacemaker, Mike. I don't have an alarm on my ICD (at least I HOPE I don't) with the exception that if mine goes off, I'll know it as it's like getting kicked in the chest by a mule. There is a unit beside my bed that automatically transmits a comprehensive report (including pacemaker info) sometime overnight (probably around 1:30am EST) or anytime the thing activates. It looks just like the portable phone in most homes except there is no dial, only a set of lights that have different meanings. What I am supposed to do is stay within something like 20 feet of it at all times (it has a clip to put it on your belt). No matter where I am in the world, as long as there is a cell phone signal, it will report (thankfully at no cost to me) but then again, the damned thing cost $89,000. Needless to say, it's never been out of its charger for as sure as God created little green apples, I'd lose the thing!

That transmission is the reason I had to go see my cardiologist to learn that I was back into severe Atrial Fib. I just figured my extreme physical depletion was a result of my grief (which of course only adds to the equation).

Well, it's much neglected housework for me regardless of physical condition, etc. I am furious that it takes me forty-five minutes to accomplish what I used to be able to do in ten. Chances are, however, though I'm going back at some point to Cleveland, I'll have to live with it so at least I'll get plenty of practice acting as if I'm 75 years old even though I'll undoubtedly never reach that age. My personal physician started talking about a handicap parking permit and I told him not to even go there.

Todd