View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Paul,

Cruise thought provoking thread topic, thanks for starting.

Altho having not sailed on the Marina (very close was booked for eight months on the Maiden and was going to sail on the shakedown just prior to the Maiden but 60 days out had to cancel). From what I've read, and what my Travel Agents who were on the 3 day voyage with you (pls see below) told me in private emails--strongly agree with you that the Marina exceeds expectations--is a game changer. Will be interesting to read what others (I know well a few CC posters who sail SB, Regent, Azamara, SS that will soon sail Marina) have to say about the Marina. Methinks they will strongly echo your very favorable comments. We can't wait to sail on Seabourn's newest ship (Quest) we will be on the maiden crossing in November.

Can only contribute this judgement, out of six luxury ships (Regent and SS) we have sailed on, by far, the SS Spirit is absolutely the poorest designed lux ship we have sailed. Why?

--no bathrooms in the wonderful venue--Observation Lounge (Deck11) nearest bathroom is on the pool deck (two decks down)..this is a great venue (but has not bathrooms--on reflection not so great) to escape the liberal smoking policy on SS.
--common area gym microscopic (aerobics room in particular); no separate men & women's sauan/spa (unisex) with only one shower.
--show theater is awful is design, acoutistics and view
--stars supper club-- nice concept but does not have a dedicated kitchen
--veranda cabins way too narrow due to fancy tv in mirror complex (u have to crawl over bed to get adult beverage if Ida uses vanity)
--with all pax decks forward coupled with SS liberal smoking policy (in suites OK, that just made verandas no go) with SS's heavy European clientele for the first time (not on Shadow or Whisper) you get second hand smoke in your cabin (bothered my wife/Ida) plus the smoke smell hits you on every pax deck (I tried them)

PS..Winner, Silversea Spirit does have another dining venue that charges a fee (unlike
the Whisper, Shadow, Cloud, Wind). The SS Spirit Asian venue (Seishin) charges $30 pp and if you add Sake with each course it goes up to $80pp

PSS..Winner...here is what one of Crystal's top selling Travel Agents said in a private email to me yesterday regarding Marina (she has been on dozens and dozens of Crystal cruises) She was on the
same three day voyage as Paul was:

"The ship was A plus. I just loved the food, the ship and the employees. The ship is head to head with Crystal Cruises. I absolutely loved Red Ginger Restaurant! The spacious meeting areas were perfect! I have pictures for you, but I just need to get them off my camera and I will email them over to you. There was not one bite of food that was below the level of excellence.

"Funny about being a league changer because my husband and I discussed this with Frank Del Rio and ..... Frank states it like this: I want to keep the Marina as "upper premium" to "under promise and over-deliver", in other words, to exceed the expectations of every guest.

We have sailed many, many times on Crystal and the Marina is equivalent in food and service but nicer details on the ship. I am going to make arrangements tonight to revisit the Marina in March."

She is a beauty!

Last edited by Colonel(ret.)wes; February 10th, 2011 at 11:33 PM.