View Single Post
Old February 15th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Mike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by you View Post
A person having a seizure has a far less chance, almost zero, of injuring another passenger than a mobility impaired person running their "little rascal" around on deck or maneuvering it in close quarters. I've been injured by those more than once and I wasn't on the ground having a "fit" at the time. I've never seen a mobility impaired passenger removed from the ship because they could be a potential hazard.
In so far as there are a lot more scooters and motorized wheelchairs aboard some ships, I agree that they can pose a more prevalent risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Also, a passenger is not going be allowed near ANYTHING that would disable or disrupt the ship's systems.
I would not be so sure about that. There are emergency systems throughout the passenger spaces aboard every cruise ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by you
Number three is possible but highly unlikely. A person having a tonic-clonic seizure is not going to "jump" or hurl themselves over the railing and they aren't going to fall over the railing unless they were leaning over it at the time of the seizure. They will lose motor control of their legs and collapse. That's like saying people "fall" off a cruise ship. I don't think anyone has actually fallen off a cruise ship unless they intentionally jumped or were making whoopie on the balcony railing or doing something else quite stupid and quite conscious.
That, again, would depend upon the type of seizure and how it happened to go down. I can envision somebody in a seizure getting an arm over a rail and flailing his or her legs in a way that pitched the torso body over it, beyond the point of no return. Once the person's center of gravity is beyond the rail, the person would be over the side.

And yes, I have been around enough seizures to be way too familiar with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by you
These are are the fallacies and fears that have kept people with Epilepsy in the dark for centuries.
I think that we need to trust the ship's medical officers to assess the type of seizure and the danger that it might have posted, as that is within their professional competence, rather than trying to "second guess" them based on incomplete information. In medical matters, the captains of cruise ships are very consistent in following the recommendations of their medical staffs.

Of course, as others have pointed out, the manner in which the mother reacted to the seizure also may have swayed the final decision.

Norm.