View Single Post
Old February 18th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Familiar Face

Default Help wanted: Silversea v Seabourn

Love cruising, next year we'll be trying the first foray into luxe lines for 2012. Trying to choose between a 10 day in October from NYC to Barbados on Silver Whisper (Bermuda,St Barts, Antigua,Dominica, Grenadines, Barbados), and a 10 day R/T from Ft. Lauderdale to Caribbean on Seabourns Sojourn (San Juan, St. Barts, Antigua, St. John, DR).

Clearly, Sojourn is one of the newest ships in the luxe lineup. Costs normally enter into the picture but the Whisper gets me air included and a window onboard and a slightly smaller space; at that price I pay for my own air and get a cabin with a veranda (plus 365 square feet) on the Sojourn. I've never sailed with more than 240 square feet, so although I like balconies ... it shouldn't really matter in this case.

Priorities for us: incredible food (to be defined as classic cuisine - fussy not necessarily meaning better but more than likely what I'd take); small, unusual ports; service that truly startles and surprises. Wife and I would love romance on this trip. From what I've read about the other guests onboard, well, we're just normal folks in their earliest 50s that love to laugh, spend some time alone nuzzling, and like to meet others. We still keep in contact with Southerners we met on the Katrina trip of Sensation (left NOLA in late August, 2005).

Anything I should be aware of? What about sailing NYC to Barbados/Bermuda in October in a smaller ship? For all intents, it seems like the itinaries are a wash; the cuisine should be relatively close. Help!

I don't think there's much difference here. The October trip offers the chance to build on and add days in advance in NY possibly add on to the end in Barbados and also allows me time to pay for the darn thing. February trip comes at an opportune time (nothing like getting away from WNY in the winter) for a vacation.

Last edited by Askabry; February 18th, 2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: edit: clarity,grammar
Sponsored Links