Thread: Cork Fee
View Single Post
Old February 22nd, 2011, 04:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
You don't have to bring your own corkscrew - ask your cabin steward to get one for you.

To me that's tacky, taking your wine in a glass to the dining room. HAL has been very lenient in allowing us to bring our own wine on board for consumpation in our cabin, but if everyone did what you suggest then there's a good chance that one day HAL will ban wine/champagne/soda like they do hard liquour and beer.

As for bringing it from home wrapped in towels, you are taking a chance - have you seen they way the baggage handlers handle the luggage at Pearson and on the ship. You may be lucky and nothing breaks but if it does, then you'll have to wash everything in your suitcase. Many years ago we were with a couple from Kitchener and they did this - oh, boy did their clothes reek until they could wash/get them cleaned !!

I'd get the cab to stop at a liquour store in FLL on the way to the ship. I believe there are a couple of big stores on the way to the ship. Either the cabbie will know where they are or someone on this board will know the name of them.

As far as I know no liquour stores in T&C but probably a few nearby in PC.

Good luck and have a GREAT CRUISE. We did this cruise on the EUDM in December and will probably do it again at Xmas.
I see it as FRUGAL not TACKY . If I'm not going to buy a glass of wine in the MDR, then what does it matter where I drink it? To me, it's not much different then everyone with their rum runners, drinking by the pool and not buying from a poolside server.

We're actually flying out of Buffalo, but its not much different with respect to baggage handlers. The only thing that had be even considering it was ... I was talking to one of the gift shop workers on Grandeur who was trying to talk me into buying the special of the day. I told him that since I coudlnt' carry it on the plane, then ... I was out-of-luck. He said they package it so you put in your suitcase. Another passenger spoke up and said he did it all the time. That is the only reason I've even contemplate packing wine ... but I know I'd be far to skeeered that my clothes would get wrecked.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991