View Single Post
Old February 25th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Admiral

OklaCruiserMom,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Thanks! I appreciate your input and suggestions. The only thing that's flying over my head is, What does JTOL stand for??? I'm sure it's probably embarrassingly obvious, but it's just not coming to me!
"JTOL" is one of a slew of acronyms and abbreviations for common phrases that have gained acceptance on the 'net. They originally developed to save typing, bandwidth, and storage. Here are a few that you might encounter or perhaps find it expedient to use.

AFAIAC = As Far As I Am Concerned
AFAIK = As Far As I Know
BIL = Brother-In-Law
BTW = By The Way
C U L8R = See You Later
DD = Dear Daughter
DH = Dear Husband
DS = Dear Son
DW = Dear Wife
FIL = Father-In-Law
FWIW = For What It's Worth
FYI = For Your Information
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
IMNSHO = In My Not So Humble Opinion
JM$0.02 = Just My Two Cents
JTOL = Just Thinking Out Loud
MIL = Mother-In-Law
PITA = Pain In The A**
SIL = Sister-In-Law
TTFN = Ta-Ta For Now

This is far from a complete list, but it does include much of what you are likely to encounter. If you see something else, just ask and somebody will explain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
But I *was* wondering, honestly, how formally do people really dress? Do you actually see many tuxes and evening gowns, or is it more relaxed?
The honest answer is that it varies widely by cruise line, destination, and length of cruise.

>> 1. The more "upscale" lines tend to be considerably dressier than the less "upscale" lines.

>> 2. The "formal" evenings on longer cruises tend to be dressier than the "formal" evenings on shorter cruises on any given line.

>> 3. Cruises to Europe and "Transatlantic" cruises tend to be dressier than cruises to other destinations.

But the best advice always is to follow to the letter the dress guidelines issued by your cruise line. If you do so, you'll be dressed properly even if many of the other passengers are not.

Norm.