Thread: Made in America
View Single Post
Old March 5th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
I have had mostly GM vehicles. Since '74 I've owned

A '74 Cutlass Supreme, a '77 Cutlass Salon, an 82 Monte Carlo, an 84 Caprice, an 86 Monte Carlo a 96 Pontiac Grand Am and an '01 Grand Am and I've never had a serious problem with any. My 01 Grand Am still looks and runs as well as the day I purchased it and I have almost 140,000 miles on it. I still get compliments on it!

Today, the American automobile is often the equal and sometimes even surpasses the imports in quality and reliability. In short, the edge that imports used to have is pretty much going if not already gone. All you have to do is to look at Toyota and they used to be something along the lines of the gold standard. They now have so many problems it's almost comical unless you own one. I believe just a week or so ago, just when they thought everything was over, they recalled another two million.

Todd
Todd,

I agree that today U.S. vehicles, which aren't always made in the U.S., are on par with most foreign manufacturers. Toyota messed up because they initially denied there was a problem. Also the media had a field day showing that Toyota was not perfect and the negative publicity really helped the American auto makers.

In 2009 Ford recalled 4.5 million vehicles because of a faulty cruise control release switch. These were vehicles from 1992 - 2008. They just recalled 150,000 F150 pickups. According to Bloomberg, Ford has recalled more than 10,000,000 vehicles in the last decade. In comparison Toyota's total recall is just over 4,000,000.

The bad American cars of the 70's, 80's and early 90's left a very bad taste in people's mouths, including mine, and it made it hard to buy another American car after being bit once too many times. I now own a Toyota and a Chevrolet Suburban. Both run great.

I remember when you would have a party when your car exceeded 100,000 miles. (And if it did it was barely running) Now I expect at least 200,000 from a vehicle and that is without major repairs. I have a friend who brags about how many miles he has on his 1990 Dodge truck. It is somewhere around 250,000 miles. The problem is that he has replaced the engine, transmission, rear differential and a number of other things.

I also have no problem buying a foreign vehicle that is made in the U.S.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me