View Single Post
Old March 15th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Some of the stuff in that piece was in Consumer's Report. They said to avoid filling up in the afternoon and early evening during hot weather when possible, pump slowly and avoid filling up when a tanker is dumping because sediment does occur and becomes disturbed ( (my advice here)especially at older stations that have older tanks). Pumps do have filters built in (I used to as a kid assemble pumps at a local factory before they incorporated such filters) but who knows when they were last checked, cleaned, etc.

Don't quote me but I think they pointed out that whatever you lose in the summer time via the vapors, you more than get back in the winter time (if you live in a cool to cold climate).

They do very extensive research. Another point along the same lines.

You know how all oil companies advertise their oil is the best? CR a few years ago did a study and used a Manhattan cab company's brand new fleet for the test vehicles because they figured that they were probably far harder used than the average consumer vehicle. They used every major brand of oil down to store brands but it was all SAE certified oil (meaning no recycled, etc. which I guess you can buy). The results after 100,000 miles? There was absolutely no difference in engine wear when they broke down the engines.

In synopsis, they said use the cheapest oil you can but with the following caveats! It must be the type recommended for your vehicle (weight), must be SAE certified (it's stamped on the can end or on the plastic bottle) and must be changed according to manufacturer's specifications depending on conditions (a lot of city driving or driving in a dusty climate, etc.). Oh, unless you live under the aforementioned conditions there was no benefit to changing your oil every three thousand miles, which many people do simply because oil companies (and even many mechanics) recommend it. The oil companies uhhhh....sell more oil that way. It said follow your vehicle's recommendations (under normal conditions, usually every 7,500 miles). I have mine changed only when the change oil light comes on (it varies somewhat but is around every 72 to 75 hundred miles) and I've 137,000 miles on my car and it runs as if it were brand new and the couple of relatively minor problems I've had had nothing to do with the oil. Also, of course, check it regularly by the dipstick. This test, by the way, did not include sythetic oils which may well be better but they're more expensive, far more if you use what CR recommends.

Todd