Thread: Kids on cruises
View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Littletime View Post
As a parent who travels extensively with our kids I have repeatedly experienced the intolerance of some adults before our children open their mouths and frequently before they fully enter a room. While I know for a fact my children are not perfect I know that once people have given them a chance to know them they are pleasantly surprised. My youngest daughter has multiple pen pals (all mature adults) from all over North America that she met on cruiselines. My kids can speak intelligently on a range of topics and they know to chew with their mouths closed and to speak politely and use manners. It's unfortunate that they continue to face discrimination based on older people's perceptions as opposed to fact. The reality is that we have had a drunk adult take a pee on our stateroom door but we've never had a child do the same. Rotten kids are for the most part a product of lousy parenting, no matter what, people should take two minutes to get to know a chid before deciding they don't want to share a table with them. I give that same consideration to the adults that I'm assigned to eat with even though I may very likely decide after the first night that there is no way I want to spend a week's worth of dinners at a table with a guy discussing his girlfriend's best thongs or preferred positions. (sadly, true story)
Well said!!
When my kids were very little we didn't have the opportunity to travel too much. Their first cruise was when my daughter was 16 and my son was 11. They were well behaved and well mannered at dinner and in fact had been complimented by another table on their good behavior. Some adults dont even know how to act and i've seen my share of bad mannered adults at the buffets and pool areas on cruises that may outweigh bad behavior from kids.
IMO there are more well behaved kids than not. The reason for this IMO is that parents take a cruise too lightly and let their kids run "wild" with no supervision. The bad behaved kids dont make up all of the kids and i would hope people can see that.