View Single Post
Old April 16th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askabry View Post
Holy crap. Are you trying to draw a line between a baggage handler at an airport to Mr. Morgan? There is a world of difference here.

Mr. Morgan works on an island owned specifically by HMC and is there, even at arm's length, at their bidding. The agreement between HMC and the bar management offers HMC considerably sway in how personnel deal with HMC's clientele.

The cruise line has complete control over what happens at HMC. In point of fact, by stating that it is a "private island" they are giving the full weight of Holland America that they control everything on that island.
You need to do a bit more homework - and re-read my post.
I never mentioned baggage handlers at the airport.
I mentioned the baggage handlers at the PIER.

Half Moon Cay is neither owned by HAL nor Carnival Corporation.
It is leased by Carnival Corporation from the Bahamian Government.
HAL is a subsidiary of a tenant occupant.
HMC is managed by a facility management company based in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
You say that "the agreement between HMC and the bar management offers HMC considerably (sic) sway in how personnel deal with HMC's clientele."

Have you seen the contract between the Michigan-based management company and Carnival Corp?
Have you seen the contract between DIAGEO (the European-based liquor distributor that built the bar and hired the Captain Morgan actor) and Carnival Corporation?
I sincerely doubt it.
HAL doesn't have any contracts with any of them, by the way. They are paid by Carnival Corp.

You say that "the cruise line has complete control over what happens at HMC".
Not quite.
The Bahamian Government has complete control over what happens at HMC. It's their country.
A Carnival Corporation Vice President oversees the general activities of the management company there, and occasionally speaks to HAL on what goes on there.

The baggage handler at the pier works for a union hired by the port authority.
The union is paid directly by the cruise line (HAL in this case).
The travel agent selling you the cruise is paid a commision directly by HAL.
The check-in staff work for HAL shore operations and are paid by HAL.
The bus driver from the airport to the pier works for HAL shore operations and is paid by HAL.

Last edited by Bruce Chafkin1; April 16th, 2011 at 02:53 PM.