View Single Post
  #8 (permalink)  
Old May 10th, 2011, 04:46 PM
RTALLEN RTALLEN is offline
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 208
Default

"Unfortunately we can't fix stupid. Far too many people go to Walmart and purchase those 99 cent made in china power strips that have no fuses or breakers inside them. They do not even have copper wires, but some cheap material that burns when overloaded.
Then they manage to plug these strips into the 220 volt power points in their cabins.
As soon as they plug a 110 volt appliance into the power strip, the appliance is fried and the power strip bursts into flames."

There may be some validity to what you say, Bruce. However, after making a couple of phone calls to Carnival,at both their 1-800 number and the
Guest Relations number, and talking to three or four people, I think the answer is a bit simpler than that. While I wasn't able to find out how many cabins are linked together on a circuit breaker, or what those circuit breakers are rated for, my guess would be 30 amps, which is sufficient for each cabin's light fixtures and a two or three items that draw a low amount of amperage. Throw in a couple of items (such as a blow dryer or curling iron) that draw a higher amount of amperage, and (sing along with me) "Pop Goes The Breaker". Happens to us every Christmas when the vacuum sweeper is plugged into the same circuit as the Christmas tree. While I wouldn't call that a hazard, it sure is aggravating. And I'm sure the maintenance people on the ship have better things to do with their time than to go around resetting popped circuit breakers. So, to prevent the breakers from being overloaded, Carnival prefers that guests not use power strips or extension cords. I would guess if someone did have a power strip and it wasn't confiscated, that meant somebody (security or the cabin steward) looked the other way. I don't think I'll risk it, and limit the items we take that require electricity.
Reply With Quote