View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
A charged scuba tank has the explosive power of several sticks of dynamite. All you have to do to set it off is leave it in a corner and wait for the ship to roll a bit. The tank falls over and the valve on top breaks off. Many passengers will be killed by the explosion.

Unfortunately we can't fix stupid. Far too many people go to Walmart and purchase those 99 cent made in china power strips that have no fuses or breakers inside them. They do not even have copper wires, but some cheap material that burns when overloaded.
Then they manage to plug these strips into the 220 volt power points in their cabins.
As soon as they plug a 110 volt appliance into the power strip, the appliance is fried and the power strip bursts into flames.

The Center for Disease Control in the USA requires all cruise ships calling at US Ports to purchase fish and beef only from US Certified Vendors. The idea is that these vendors guarantee that the fish and beef have no poisons, sewage, drugs, or other harmful substances in them.
There are no US Certified Vendors outside the USA.
The captain of a fishing boat in central America really doesn't care what substances might be in the fish you are catching from his boat.
The cruise lines don't want to take any chances cooking something you bring onboard. If you get sick, who is blamed and sued?
Empty tanks are also banned.

As for fish, Captains have bought fish straight from fishing boats before. In the one instance I saw, it was off Norway. I have also heard of it happening in other locations around the world. These have been on ships that occassionally call in the USA.

I have also seen people bring their fish onboard and have it cooked; not in American waters.

I guess all rules have their exceptions????

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14