View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Thumbs up Caribou Crossing by rental car

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffieri View Post
So hoping you all can help. Going on our first Alaska cruise with my two kids- my son 13 and daughter 5. We will be in Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan. Would love some advice of some great tours where you really experience Alaska. We are doers, not so much the sightseers. We know Alaska 's beauty is going to be amazing and would love to know how to really experience it. So ANY advice would be great.

**Unsure of train in Skagway. Know the sights will be wonderful but unsure about sitting on a train for 3 hours.

Let me know, Thanks!!! Kimberly
An absolutely wonderful thing for a family to do in Skagway is to rent a car from Avis, drive over the White Pass the same way the train goes (but on the opposite side of the valley), and visit Caribou Crossing in the Yukon. Your kids will love the wildlife museum and a ride on a dog cart at the Musher's Camp will be a high point of their trip. Check out our trip report and pictures at Driving from Skagway into the Yukon

Something the kids might like in Juneau, adventuresome but not too difficult, is the visit to the gold mine. Check out our trip report and pictures at Sapphire Princess Cruise Review

A fun thing to do in Ketchikan is to ride the ducks! It is only about an hour, and leaves you time to visit the Totem Poles or the lumberjack shows. Check out our trip report and pictures at Cruising to Alaska on HAL Zuiderdam

A lot more things that we have enjoyed (not necessarily adventuresome!) are at Alaska Excursions Guide

Have a GREAT cruise!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html