View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Mayna,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
thx Norm!
but 10 am is still sounding like reality correct?
Sorry to be delayed in this reply. Alas, I have been cruising aboard MV Celebrity Century from San Diego to Vancouver followed by a Rocky Mountaineer rail tour from Vancouver to Calgary, and am just catching up.

I can't say that a 10:00 AM flight is without risk, but San Diego may well be the only port in the United States where you'll have a decent (>95%) chance of making it. The airport terminal is actually is within walking distance of the pier, which is across the street from the east end of the airport's runway, but it's further than you will want to walk dragging luggage while pressed for time.

Now, to make this flight, you will absolutely need to use Celebrity's "express disembarkation" option -- which means taking ALL of your luggage off of the ship yourself when you disembark. This option allows you to go ashore as soon as the immigration officials clear the ship. This way, you go straight past the luggage pick-up to the customs check-out upon disembarkation, then go to the taxi area to take a taxi to the airport.

There are three elements of risk in this arrangement.

>> 1. The ship could be delayed in returning to port. Most cruise schedules have plenty of padding for likely delays, but you cannot completely discount the possibility of something unforeseen.

>> 2. The immigration officials could be very slow in clearing the ship, delaying disembarkation. In twenty-eight (28) cruises, I have seen this happen once.

>> 3. There may be some imbecile who fails to show up for immigration inspection, delaying clearance of the ship. When this happens, immigration officials sometimes refuse permission for anybody to go ashore or to embark until they account for the missing individual. I have seen this problem twice, but it did not affect disembarkation either time. In the first instance, the immigration officials allowed cleared passengers to disembark but delayed (my) embarkation for the next cruise. In the other instance, the problem occurred in a port of call (the missing passenger was in the spa, where the PA system was switched off, and thus did not hear the repeated announcements directing him to report for immigration sceening) rather than in the port of disembarkation.

Your call.

Norm.