View Single Post
Old June 5th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Henry43,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
A story appeared on the network TV and radio stations this morning about 2 passengers fighting on an airplane because one pushed his seat all the way back without giving consideration to the guy seated behind him .

In 2008 we were on our way home from a cruise and boarded a plane in BC . The guy sitting directly in front of me pushed his seat back as far as it could go and nearly crushed my knees .At the time I was recovering from torn cartillage in my right knee and I literally screamed .I politely asked the guy if he could move his seat up a bit and he pushed down even harder .Then he got up and went to the bathroom .His wife sat in his seat and put her full body weight (about 300 pounds) and pushed the seat back against my knees .
I got up ,spoke to a flight attendant and she said the only thing she could do was to ask if another passenger would change seats with me and of course nobody volunteered . I spent nearly all of the 6 hour flight standing .
Coincidentally the man and his wife went to the same area as we did (after getting luggage) to hail a cab and I was able to hear his destination .
I filed a complaint with the airline but all they could do was to offer an apology .

My thinking is that if they could be so rude on an airline flight they probably would be just as rude on a cruise(we were all on the same cruise) .I hope I never see these people again.
Yes, these people are rude and inconsiderate. Hire a lawyer and sue both them and the airline for rendering your seat unusable, and thus forcing you to stand, during the flight. Clearly, both crushing your knees and forcing you to stand for such a long period of flight inflicted pain and suffering, for which you deserve substantial compensation. A substantial award clearly will get enough media attention to cause other people who are so inconsiderate to think twice!

But fundamentally, the fault in this case rests with the airline. As a passenger, one expects that one should be able to use the features of one's seat, including the reclining mechanism, without causing discomfort or pain for other passengers. The airline simply should not install seats that allow a passenger to recline into another passenger's personal space. This means either (1) install seats that do not recline as far or (2) provide more space between seats.

That said, there's also a serious safety problem whenever a seat on an airplane, a train, or a bus reclines so far that a passenger of average size cannot get into and out of the seat directly behind it. This is clearly a matter in which the FAA should intervene. The rule should be that a seat on a common carrier cannot intersect a plane beyond a vertical plane one foot in front of the forward edge of the seat behind it, even when fully reclined.

Norm.