View Single Post
Old June 10th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We got the Norovirus from a sick ship (Sea Princess). Our cruise dates: May 30-June 9, 2011. She was sick from the cruise prior to ours as mentioned by LikesTravel2Boot.

The crew members serve their passengers in the Horizons (Buffet) for 10-days during the cruise prior to ours. Passengers were not permitted to serve themselves, in an effort to not spread the decease. The crew members continued to serve passengers the entire 10-days during our cruise. They were spraying and sanitizing the ship as we were boarding. We did not know the Sea Princess was a sick ship when we boarded. We found out only after she had left the dock.

My family took extra precautions during our cruise knowing it was an infected ship. We repeatedly washed our hands, use the sanitizing gel when entering the buffet and dining rooms, used our elbows when we needed to touch the railings for balance. We had to use our fingers when touching the elevator buttons as they did not work with our gloves or other covered hand or arm parts. So, we used the backs of our hands and made sure we washed them first thing when returning to our cabins or before going for a meal. Even with our precautions, we still became sick. We are home now. My Mother is still weak and recovering. My son, just asked me for the heating pad for his stomach is hurting and I am praying he will not get ill.

Report below for next cruise from SF leaving on June 9, 2011.

The CDC reports 135 of 2128 passengers (6.3%) and 6 of 840 crew (0.7%) have reported ill with gastrointestinal illness. A CDC Vessel Sanitation Program environmental health officer will board the ship on arrival in San Francisco on June 09, 2011 to conduct a comprehensive environmental health assessment and evaluate the outbreak and response activities. NOTE: Breaking Travel News reports it will be necessary for the ship to undergo a prolonged and additional disinfection in San Francisco on Thursday, June 9, 2011. As a consequence, embarkation will be delayed. Cruise check-in is now scheduled to begin at 5:30pm. All passengers must be onboard by 7:30pm. In addition, the delayed departure will require itinerary changes. The call to Juneau on June 12 has been cancelled and replaced with a call to Sitka. The call to Haines on June 14 has also been cancelled and replaced with a call to Juneau.

Is a couple of hours really enough time to disinfect the entire ship from the Norovirus?

Last edited by Jakenwoofe; June 10th, 2011 at 06:04 PM.