View Single Post
Old July 1st, 2011, 07:48 PM
Admiral

rhlaw,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
We are planning a cruise to Alaska and I'm interested in when you all think we should take our cruisetour. We will be going on Celebrity, should we take it before the cruise or after? We are looking at the end of August in 2012.
Thanx for any imput.
The scenery in Alaska seems to grow progressively more spectacular as you move northward. Thus, I think that it's best to do the cruise-tour in the northward direction rather than the southward direction. This places the land tour segment after the cruise segment rather than before.

That said, the land portion of a cruise-tour package tends to be pretty expensive. As an alternative, consider doing the land portion on your own. The main roads in Alaska are well maintained, so it's no problem to rent a car and drive yourself, but you can also book travel on the Alaska Railroad if you prefer. I do recommend reserving your lodging before you go, though -- summer is the peak tourist season and points in Alaska are pretty far apart, so it may be a long way to a hotel with rooms available if you encounter "no vacancy" signs and don't have a reservation where you were planning to stay.

Norm.