View Single Post
Old July 1st, 2011, 09:07 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17 View Post
Bruce,

Well, yes and no.

When I was young, my dad noticed a neighbor a year older than me standing next to the street crying while on the way home from one of my little league games. He stopped, and we asked her what was wrong. She answered that the mother diagonally across the street from us accidently had run over her son with a "sit and ride" lawnmower, killing the son. When we arrived home, my mother -- who had called for an ambulance while the mother held the son's head together, blood dripping on our back walk -- was obviously quite shaken by the incident. Apparently the mother had turned her head to tell her daughter to stay away from the lawnmower and thus did not see her son run in front of it.

But I also have very vivid memories of the burned out hulk of the SS Jagat Padmini after fire crews from USS South Carolina (CGN-37) put out a fire that had started in her engine room and engulfed the whole ship, up to the bridge, during a midshipman cruise aboard USS California (CG-36). With nowhere else to go, most of the crew of the hulk was in the water when our "kid sister" arrived on the scene.

Safety at sea requires constant attention to detail -- and I do mean every detail. The sea is often very unforgiving, and those who neglect the persnickety details of safety often pay the ultimate price.

I'm reminded of a poster depicting a fairly large open safety pin bearing the words, "Safety first. Get the point?"

Yes, that's exactly what is necessary!

Norm.
As you pointed out, the ship fire started in the Engine Room. The greatest number of fires at sea - especially serious fires - start in the engine room.

But there is absolutely No Smoking allowed in the engine rooms on all ships. Anyone caught smoking in the engine room of a cruise ship would lose his job - and end his career - immediately.

Please bear in mind that I have never smoked, and never will. I have no good reason to like or support smoking or smokers. The biggest pain in my life is listening to hundreds of passengers every week complaining to me about smokers and smoking.

Now getting back to the title and subject of this thread; "Princess Smoking Policy". Prohibiting smoking on ships would no doubt make the ships a bit safer from fire. But nobody reading this message will be able to cite a single case where a cigarette on a ship started a fire that killed or even seriously burned somebody.

Shouldn't we all be worrying a bit more about things that really do harm and kill people ?
As of January 2011, the US Government reports that the single biggest killer of Americans is obesity related diseases. All types of cancer - including the cancers caused by smoking - are now in distant second place.

What are most cruise passengers doing more of than anything else every minute of every day?
Stuffing their pie holes, and joking about how much weight they are gaining on this cruise.
This is truly dangerous. I have people dropping dead on my ship nearly every week.
The causes, nearly every time?
Heart attacks and strokes related to obesity.
We never find any burn marks on the corpses we keep in our onboard morgue.

We really need to re-assign our priorities when we think about safety and death.