View Single Post
Old July 20th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Mike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Well, first of all, the flight attendant is PAID to take care of me and the other passengers.
Legally, the flight attendants' primary responsibility is safety rather than passenger comfort. This means that it's the flight attendant's duty to ensure that luggage is properly stowed, that passengers take their seats and fasten their seat belts when the seat belt light is on, that passengers turn off electronic devices and bring their seat backs to the upright position for takeoff and landing, to ensure that food service items are collected and that the galley is properly secured for takeoff and landing and during severe turbulence, to ensure that passengers seated in exit rows appear to be capable of operating the emergency exits and know how to do so, to ensure that the escape raft/slides are set to inflate automatically when the boarding doors get closed before departure and released before the boarding doors get opened upon arrival, to conduct preflight safety briefings, provide or arrange emergency medical assistance in flight if required, etc. Anything else that flight attendants do, including meal service in flight, is, by law, subordinate to and not to interfere with their duties that pertain to safety.

Of course, the general responsibility for "safety" does encompass stopping behavior that might pose a danger to other passengers or that is likely to lead to an altercation in flight. In principle, this would include stopping a passenger from changing an infant's diaper in view of other passengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
As you can see I don't think very much of flight attendants crying about the requirements of their job. If they think the passengers are just a nuisance and helping them is a pet peeve, they are in the wrong line of work. Too bad they don't work for tips like waitresses do. Maybe they would get a message about miserable service.
I agree in principle with your point. An employee contractually agrees to do a certain job for an employer, and the employer agrees to provide that employee with a certain salary or wage and a certain package of benefits in exchange for that service. Most jobs do entail some tasks that are less pleasant than others, but the less pleasant tasks are part of what one signs up to do.

That said, I think that the only complaint on the list that falls into this category is the complaint about having to assist passengers in stowing carry-on luggage.

Norm.