View Single Post
Old July 21st, 2011, 12:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I was definitely there. Glad you got to see it...

Here is how it went, as one colleague described it, it was a very emotional affair. We all assembled in the main theater of Celebrity Solstice – and on the big screen we could see the magnum of champagne suspended high up against the forward smokestack.

Godmother Michelle Morgan had the honor of giving the ship its naming and blessing, “I dub this ship Celebrity Silhouette, God bless it and all who sail upon it.”

But before she did so she was accompanied onstage by the three previous Godmothers who had named the three previous ships of the Solstice class. Ms Morgan was handed the same pair of scissors that had been used in each of the previous naming ceremonies, and the ribbon holding the bottle of champagne suspended in the air was brought to her by an acrobat suspended from a trapeze from the ceiling of the theater.

As the ribbon was cut we were able to see it slipping away through the corridors of the ship via strategically placed video cameras. Finally, the magnum of champagne, which had been specially blown by the Corning Museum of Glass just for the occasion (the Museum runs the glass blowing exhibit on the previous three Solstice-class ships) could be seen smashing into the smokestack – visible on the big screen in the theater.

It was a lovely ceremony – very similar to the ones that have been done for the previous three Solstice ships. During parts of the ceremony we heard speeches by Richard Fain and Dan Hanrahan. One highlight was the Greek national anthem being sung by a group of German officers – led by the captain himself. There were twelve singers in all. The German national anthem was also presented.

The good news is that the champagne did break – meaning good luck for the ship. As Richard fain pointed out, ship blessings have come a long way – they were originally done by priests pouring blood on the ship, but that has transformed over the years to ladies in gowns pouring champagne.